Brian J. Farrar
Brian has successfully litigated numerous cases in federal and state courts involving wrongful termination, discrimination, unequal pay, breach of contract, wage and hour violations, and other civil rights matters.
In March 2023, Brian obtained a nearly $3 Million verdict in federal court for an employee who was wrongfully terminated for reporting sexual harassment. In 2020, Brian negotiated a $1.46 Million pre-trial settlement on behalf of female college professors who alleged unequal pay and sex discrimination. This was one of the largest reported settlements for a gender discrimination case in the country. As lead trial counsel, Brian obtained the following results for other clients:
- A $425,000 pre-trial settlement in an age discrimination case
- A $429,600 judgment following a bench trial on behalf of a business whose former employee stole confidential documents and attempted to unlawfully compete
- A $330,000 settlement in an unpaid wages case following a successful jury trial
- A $400,000 pre-trial settlement in a hostile work environment claim based on race discrimination
Areas Of Practice
- Employment Law For Employees and Employers
- Discrimination & Wrongful Discharge
- Executive & C-Level Legal Services
- Employment Contract Negotiation
- Non-compete Law
- Wage & Hour Violations
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- Workplace Harassment Law, Injunctive Relief Under Federal Law, Ch 32, 2d Edition, Bloomberg Law.
- Say What? The Case for Hearsay at the Guantanamo Bay Military Commissions, Michigan State International Law Review
- Jurisdiction in New York Courts, Federal Bar Council Quarterly, Vol. XXI, No 4.
- To Legislate or To Arbitrate: An Analysis of U.S. Foreign Investment Policy after FINSA and the Benefits of International Arbitration, Hofstra Journal of International Business and Law, Vol. 7, No. 1.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Vistage Michigan, Trusted Advisor Program