- Managing shareholder, 12/15/2008
Million Dollar Advocates Forum Lifetime Member, Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, and Martindale-Hubbell AV Pre-eminent rated attorney Raymond J. Sterling focuses his practice on employment and commercial law counseling and litigation. Mr. Sterling was a full partner and on the board of directors of Driggers Schultz & Herbst until forming Sterling Attorneys at Law, P.C. in 2008.
Approximately 30 years ago, Mr. Sterling broadened and diversified his management-oriented practice to also include representation of individuals -- this provides a unique insight into the opposing parties' goals and strategies in all consulting and litigation matters. Mr. Sterling also counsels his clients on virtually every aspect of employment and contract law from pre-employment contract negotiations through termination.
Recently, Mr. Sterling was the lead trial attorney in the nationally publicized case of Mullin v. Airport Authority, winning over $850,000 on behalf of Turkia Mullin, the CEO of the Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
Mr. Sterling was the lead trial attorney in two of the largest employment discrimination verdicts in the history of the federal court in Michigan -- he won $10.6 million in the internationally-publicized landmark case of Weber v. Infinity Broadcasting (known as the perfume case), and $5.5 million in Morton v. Unisys Corp.
Mr. Sterling also won a breach of employment contract case valued at over $10 million in the Wayne County Circuit Court in Martens v. Plastech; he also achieved a $1.0 million judgment for his client in the Oakland County Circuit Court case of Morgan v. Visual Services Inc. and an $850,000 jury verdict in the Oakland County age discrimination case of Sawa v. Koppy Corp. Mr. Sterling is widely-recognized as one of the top employment discrimination and wrongful discharge attorneys.
Mr. Sterling is a frequent speaker concerning emerging employment law issues at seminars for the Michigan State Bar, the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association, and the Oakland County Bar Association.
Mr. Sterling is a member of the FINRA Board of Arbitrators and a Chairperson of the Attorney Discipline Board panel.
Areas Of Practice
- Employment Law Litigation and Counseling 95%
- Commercial Law
- Contract Law
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Employment contracts
- Employment discrimination
- Wrongful discharge
- Retaliatory discharge
- Severance agreements
- Michigan, 1982
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 05/1982
- The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.A. - 06/1979
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Economics
Honors and Awards
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- Top 100 Michigan Super Lawyers 2011
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2011
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2010
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2009
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2008
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2007
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rated
- Best Lawyers in America
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum Lifetime Member
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2014
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2015
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2017
- Michigan Super Lawyers
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2012
- Michigan Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The FINRA Board of Arbitrators, Member
- Attorney Discipline Board Panel, Chairperson
- State Bar of Michigan, Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers' Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Present
Past Employment Positions
- Pepper Hamilton & Scheetz, Associate, 06/1982 to 03/1984
- Driggers Schultz & Herbst, P.C., Shareholder/Director, 03/1984 to 12/2008