Advocating For Your
Workplace Rights
And Interests

Do you have to file a workplace discrimination claim in person?

On Behalf of | Dec 12, 2019 | Workplace Discrimination |

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is the federal agency that governs the fair treatment of employees and those looking for employment. It is also usually the organization that handles workplace discrimination claims.

With 53 field offices spread across the entire United States, the EEOC is probably only a short distance away from you. There is even a field office here in Detroit to help you find answers about your rights.

Although authoritative help is always nearby, many workplace discrimination victims hesitate to reach out. Suffering mistreatment at work feels humiliating to most victims, which makes them suffer in silence in many cases.

Although the EEOC welcomes face-to-face inquiries, many victims do not want to appear in person to talk about their circumstances. Fortunately, the EEOC offers other ways to report mistreatment or file a formal complaint. These alternative methods include:

  • The EEOC’s online portal, which allows you to file a complaint, make an inquiry or schedule an appointment
  • Written reports filed through the mail
  • Oral complaints made via a phone call
  • Speaking with local organizations called Fair Employment Practice Agencies that work closely with the EEOC

With that said, you may feel better about dealing with workplace discrimination if you have an experienced Michigan-based attorney to guide you through the process of reporting discrimination or unfair treatment.

Having such an advocate ensures that your rights remain under careful protection through all stages of reporting. A lawyer can also explain what you can expect if you choose to file a claim and may be able to offer you alternative solutions for your dilemma.


FindLaw Network